but let’s be honest…
even though it’s not evident here, i’ve been on a bit of a magic bar kick. true i’ve only shared one version with you but i’ve definitely made them at least 4 other times. i’ve been trying to dream up new combinations. (although those are taking a back seat to ice cream at the moment…)
until i was recently trying to think of something that i could use the golden oreos with birthday cake filling…. see i needed to use most of the cookies in SOMETHING because i have NO self control when it comes to oreos in my house. i almost guarantee that if there is a package, it’s going to be gone within a couple days. like the rest of this package was gone in 3 days. i may or may not have had them for breakfast, pre-dinner snack and dessert.
but these magic bars are so so so good. i paired them up with the same brown butter sugar cookie crust from my dark chocolate almond magic bars. to that i added some slivered almonds and white chocolate chips. and then because what would these “birthday cake” magic bars be without some festiveness, i threw some colorful sprinkles on top! and although they require me to heat the oven, they are a total win in my book!
- 1 (17.5 oz) package sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 c (1 stick) brown butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 c chopped golden birthday cake oreos
- 1 c white chocolate chips
- 1 c silvered almonds, slightly toasted
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- preheat the oven to 350F. grease a 11×17″ or 9×13″ pyrex dish, depending on thick you’d like your bars.
- stir together the cookie mix, brown butter, egg, vanilla extract and almond extract together. press evenly in your pyrex dish. sprinkle the oreos pieces evenly over the dough followed by white chocolate chips and toasted almonds. evenly pour the condensed milk over the top. add sprinkles.
- bake 23-30 min until the crust and top are golden. cool completely before slicing.
and now i’m drooling and realizing how i’m in desperate need of some more golden birthday cake oreos….