so we continue with mint chocolate week!!
i mean it’s really only 2 days but i’m calling that a week.
speaking of 2 day weeks… can we like change the work “week” to a 2 day week and have a 5 day weekend instead?
that would really be awesome. i mean weekends fly by so stinking fast and work weeks always seem to draaaaaaaaaaaaag. let’s switch it up.
back to mint and chocolately goodness.
not only are we finishing up our (2 day) mint chocolate week but it’s also pi day! which means that food blogs all over the interwebs are going to post all kinds of pie recipes since it’s 3.14.
i may not know / forget all the food centric holidays but if there’s anything i remember from mrs. mecom’s high school geometry class it’s that pi is 3.14 (aaaaand that’s as far as i go).
so since we’re celebrating all that is good in mint and chocolate, grasshopper pie is perfect! and these are baby grasshopper pies!
(and by baby i mean mini…. no baby grasshoppers were harmed in the making of these pies.)
i love love love the idea of food in jars. i think it’s so fun so when i was trying to figure out a pie for pi day, the idea for baby pies in baby mason jars struck me. and then i saw ree’s recipe for grasshopper pie and the two ideas melded into one!
ree uses regular oreos for her crust but i really wanted to bump up the mintiness of it all so i used the mint creme filled oreos.
which by the way are my favorites. i know. shocking. but ever since those came out, it’s like the others could go away. and while we’re on the subject of eating oreos, can we all just agree that the proper way to eat them is to stick a fork in the creme and dunk it all the way in the milk until the bubbles stop. #lifechanging.
back to the pie…
grasshopper pie traditionally uses creme de menthe and creme de cacao. now, i love me some drinks but neither one of these liquors would probably see too much air time in my kitchen if they weren’t being used for grasshopper pie. so i did the next logical thing and just subbed some peppermint extract for the alcohol. this way, no bottles of liquor sat staring at me like a terrible person and we can still enjoy all the minty goodness.
and here’s one more tip. when you pack the crust in the bottom of your mason jars, don’t pack it too tight. once it freezes, it FREEZES and you almost can’t get through it without some super human strength. so pack the crust but don’t overpack the crust. got it?
mini grasshopper pies
- 16 whole mint creme filled oreos
- 2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (14 oz) jar marshmallow creme
- 2/3 c half and half
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 drops green food coloring (more or less to your taste in green)
- 1 c heavy cream
- whip cream for topping
- throw your cookies in a food processor; chop the cookies until their crumbs. add butter and give it a good spin until combined. put 1 tbs of cookie crumb / butter mixture into the bottom of 12 (4 oz) mason jars. press down to lightly pack the cookie crumb crust. set aside.
- heat marshmallow creme and half and half in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. once it’s melted and well combined, place the saucepan in a bowl full of ice and water (ice bath) to cool it down completely. add peppermint extract and green food colorings.
- in a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff; pour in the minty marshmallow mixture into the whipped cream and fold together gently. pour 2/3 c of the filling into each of the mini mason jars; put the lids on and stick in the freezer to freeze until very firm (at least 2 hours).
- when ready to serve, take out the mason jars 5 min before serving and top with some whip cream.
very best part about these… they’re single serve and can chill in my freezer. meaning i can be selfish and not share with my work!! 🙂
hope you have an awesome pi day!! speaking of… how many decimal places can you go with it?!?
recipe adapted from: the pioneer woman
I’m partying at the Pi Day Pie Party at Crazy for Crust today. Come party with us!