i’m gonna tell you a secret…..
i’ve been totally hooked on the biggest loser this season. i’ve never watched it but it was on one night when there was nothing else on so i’ve been hooked.
and if you’ve been watching you know that on this week’s episode their big challenge of the week was no stinking 5k but some crazy trust building exercise on some high wires. the house has been having some crazy tension so they thought it was an awesome idea to put these people up on high wires and make them walk… my whole point… NO FREAKING WAY would they get me up on those tiny stinking wires high up there. and it’s not even about trust.
see… i have a huge fear of falling. it’s not about the height. it’s about falling from the height. like i mean i’m deathly afraid. like watching these people up on those wires was giving me heart palpatations in my own living room.
i’m sorry but no.
i’d rather be sitting my living room making myself feel better by eating some magic bars.
what are magic bars you ask…?
….well i’m not exactly sure where they come from but i saw these over on dorothy’s website and knew i needed to make them right away. first off they’re SUPER easy and we know i like easy thanks in part to part 2….this version of her’s had a sugar cookie crust made from sugar cookie mix and i’m always down for sugar cookies. lastly, there was condensed milk involved.
oh and that sugar cookie mix crust… calls for melted butter. let’s be honest…. i hear the words melted butter and i take it a step further. i use brown butter. HOLLA!
dark chocolate almond magic bars
- 1 (17.5 oz) package sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 c (1 stick) brown butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 7 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 c silvered almonds, toasted
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- preheat the oven to 350F. grease a 10″ tart pan or a 9×13″ pyrex dish.
- stir together the cookie mix, brown butter, egg, vanilla extract and almond extract together. press evenly in your tart pan or pyrex dish. sprinkle the chocolate chunks evenly over the dough followed by toasted almonds. pour your condensed milk all over the toasted almonds.
- bake 23-30 min until the crust and top are golden. cool completely before slicing.
oh one quick note…. these are a little rich so you might want to invest in some vanilla ice cream to go on top. just saying.
for real… i may not be well acquainted with magic bars just yet but just give me time my friends. give me time.
recipe adapted from: crazy for crust