i love soup.
like i have an entire pinterest board dedicated solely to soup.
oh and i love mexican food.
which i’m sure my “mexican” food isn’t what is traditional mexican food but i don’t live in mexico but i love me some chips and salsa.
that all being said it should come as no surprise that when i saw this recipe floating around on pinterest, i knew i had to try it. my love of soup combined with some salsa for flavor and kick. oh.my.geez. it was so good. and it warmed you like a good soup should plus it gave you a little extra warmth from the heat of salsa and chipotle…. and since the weather in the rest of the country is supposed to be no fun, you should totally make this now to warm yourself up.
mexican meatball soup
- 2 hard taco shells
- 1/2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 c fresh salsa
- 1 quart chicken stock
- cilantro, for garnish
- cojita cheese, queso fresco, etc. for garnish
- grind the taco shells in a food processor until crumbs; add to a mixing bowl with turkey, scallions, cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. mix together and roll into small meatballs; you should get about 20.
- in the food processor (or a blender), combine the chipotle and salsa; blend until liquid.
- in a large dutch oven over medium heat, cook the meatballs until brown all over. set them aside.
- add the tomato paste to the dutch oven and cook for 1 min. add the salsa and chicken stock; bring to a boil. add the meatballs and lower the heat to simmer. let the soup and meatballs simmer for 15 min.
- divide into bowls and top with cilantro and cheese.
for real… this dish is super warming for cold days, or to have a mexican style soup fix.
oh and don’t be like me and buy hot hot salsa. you might actually do well to buy a heat level lower than what you normally eat since you’re adding the chipotles. trust me.
recipe from: bev cooks