so the cookbook these came out of really call them eggnog cream cupcakes but i feel like no one drinks eggnog after christmas. so we’re going to go with spiced vanilla cream cupcakes.
true story… i’m not a huge fan of eggnog. maybe it’s because it has the word “egg” in it or maybe because it reminds me of thick milk / runny milkshake…. none of that appeals to me. so when i was looking for a recipe to bring to our office christmas lunch, i looked hard at these. i realized that these cupcakes were really nothing more than a boozy spiced cupcake with a boozy semi-homemade vanilla pastry cream. i can go for that.
and i’m totally glad i did. they were delicious. the cupcake had just the right spice to make you feel like you could be all homey and warm by a fire and the boozy pastry cream…. oh.my.geez.
spiced vanilla cream cupcakes
- 1/2 c (1 stick) butter, room temp
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/4 c dark rum, such as myer’s
- 1/2 c milk, room temp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1-3/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- spiked pastry cream (recipe below)
- spiked whip cream (recipe below)
- preheat oven to 350F. line one 12 cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- whisk together flour, baking powder, allspice,cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl. set aside.
- cream together butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, about 3 – 5 min. beat in eggs. mix in rum, milk, vanilla and almond extract. add the dry ingredients to the batter, beating until just combined.
- fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. bake 20-22 min, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- once the cupcakes are completely cool, use a sharp knife to cut a hole 2/3 deep into each cupcake. fill each center with pastry cream. top each cupcake with whip cream and garnish with shaved chocolate, if desired.
spiked pastry cream
- 1 3.3oz box of french vanilla instant pudding
- 1-3/4 c milk
- 2 tbs light rum
- 3/4 c heavy cream
- beat the pudding mix and milk together on high speed for 2 min or until it starts to thicken. stir in rum. in a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. gently fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream. cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
spiked whip cream
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 3/4 c heavy cream
- 3 tbs rum, light or dark
- beat together the brown sugar and 1/4 c of the heavy cream on high speed. gradually add the remaining heavy cream and rum until stiff peaks form.
aside from this being a boozy cupcake, which we all know i love… the second best part of this is that it can all be made the night before and assembled the next day, although i would recommend making the cupcakes the day of.
recipe from: booze cakes