dear mother nature,
i think we need to have a chat about what the weather is supposed to feel like at the end of october. hint… it’s not supposed to be anywhere close to 90F. if you could make highs of like 70-75F and lows of like 50F happen, it would be greatly appreciated.
for real though. it’s like hot down here in the south and i really don’t like it. seriously… it’s been pretty well documented. but i just thought maybe by putting out a plea to mother nature, it would cool down around here. and when it does, i can eat more meals like this.
i pinned this recipe last week and it usually takes me a little while to get to trying something. ummm not these meatballs. see what happened was i was walking around the farmer’s market and trying to come up with meals for the week. and then i remembered the idea of these meatballs and knew i just had to try them. and i did. last night. see i initially planned to bring you that etouffee i’ve know mentioned at least twice but then these happened. and as i have mentioned before, i get weary about sharing entrees since i haven’t mastered food styling and photography but i just have to share these with you.
these look like they could be super complicated, what with the cheese all in the inside, but trust me when i say they aren’t. i had everything cooked and ready to be eaten within 45 min of coming home.
chicken parm meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 c whole wheat bread crumbs, divided – regular plain breadcrumbs would be fine
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 c vegetable oil (or enough to come about 2 in up the sides of your pan)
- 3 oz mozzarella, cut into 12 pieces
- 3 c marinara sauce – i used store bought to save time on a weeknight
- 3/4 lb spaghetti (or whatever pasta you want to use)
- preheat your oven to 350F. line a baking sheet with papertowels. start heating your oil to 350F (use a candy/fry thermometer or an electric skillet).
- mix together the milk, 1/2 c breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together in a bowl. add the ground chicken and gently mix until it’s evenly distributed.
- add the remaining breadcrumbs to a shallow plate. separate your chicken/breadcrumb mixture into 4 even portions. flatten each portion into a disk; add 3 pieces of the mozzarella cheese and shape the disk into a ball around the cheese. (make sure to seal the balls really well so no cheese leaks during cooking!) roll each meatball in the waiting breadcrumbs.
- place the meatballs in the hot oil and fry until golden on all sides.(you’re not frying to cook through just to get them crunchy and golden.) transfer to the paper towel lined baking sheet to allow the excess oil to drain.
- start cooking your pasta according to the package directions.
- after the excess oil has drained, removed the paper towels from the baking sheet and place the meatballs on a rack on the baking sheet. bake 15 min until they are cooked through.
- toss the cooked pasta with the marinara sauce and divide among 4 plates/bowls. top each plate/bowl with one meatball.
- dig in!
make these now.
recipe from: tracey’s culinary adventures