i am not a morning person. never have been, never will be. i’m not one of those people who have to get up at the crack of dawn because they don’t want to waste the day away. i mean who said the day started at the crack of dawn anyway?? whoever it was, they were severely off their rocker. i mean for real. my day starts when i say it starts okay? ok so maybe sometimes my days start a little later than most and i might be a little late to the party on that. (not to be confused with being late to events which i am not.)
maybe my lack of being a morning person is what translates into my lack of being a breakfast person. don’t get me wrong. i can enjoy a good peanut butter toast or some fluffy pancakes but it’s not my favorite meal of the day. i much prefer a good dinner. and i’m totally willing to skimp on lunch if i know dinner is going to be rocking. which these muffins help accomplish. they were super filling. as in i think i ate lunch at like 2p…. HOURS after i ate a muffin. and even then i barely ate a sandwich. it may have had something to do with the fact that i may have made these jumbo muffins but i’m pretty sure that they would have been just as filling as standard muffins.
buttermilk spice muffins
- 1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 c + 2 tbs + 1/2 c sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp allspice
- 3 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c + 1 tbs buttermilk
- 1 c pecans, chopped
- 1/4 c light brown sugar
- make the streusel topping: combine the pecans, brown sugar, 1/2 c sugar, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
- preheat oven to 375F. line a standard muffin tin with liners.
- cream together the butter and remaining sugar until thoroughly combined and fluffy. add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.
- in a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, cloves and salt. slowly add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter/sugar combo, alternating dry and wet (start and end with flour mixture). mix until just combined.
- fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter. sprinkle about 1 tbs of streusel topping on each muffin and gently press down into the batter so it sticks.
- bake 20-28 min, until golden brown and the muffins pass the toothpick to the center test.
if someone wants to come and make these for me in the mornings, maybe you can convert me to a morning person.
what’s your favorite meal?
recipe adapted from: my life as a mrs