what up friday?!
where have you been??
i wish you would come around more often.
and what a better way to celebrate friday than with another batch of martha’s cookie madness!
these are probably some of my favorites so far in this little adventure. i love me some maple and i’m a fan of pecans so i’ve been looking forward to these cookies since i decided i was going to do this challenge and planned out my weeks. and these cookies didn’t disappoint. they were deliciousness that wasn’t overly sweet, exactly what i think a shortbread cookie should be.
maple pecan shortbread
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 c cake flour (not self rising)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c pecan halves, finely chopped + 24 pecan halves for decorating
- 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg yolk, room temp
- 1/4 tsp pure maple extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- in a medium bowl, sift together the flours and salt. whisk in the finely chopped pecans.
- beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. add the maple syrup, egg yolk and maple extract; beat until well combined. on low, gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. flatten dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. chill until firm; 2 hours or overnight.
- preheat oven to 350F. line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough disk to 1/4 in thick. cut out rounds with a 2 in cookie cutter. place the rounds 1 in apart on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg; sprinkle the entire surface with the turbinado sugar. place a pecan half in the middle of each cookie.
- bake cookies until golden brown around the edges, 10 – 12 min. let cool completely on a wire cookie rack.
i do have to make a confession… while i did enjoy these, i like the brown sugar cookies with maple glaze better.
recipe from: martha stewart’s cookie cookbook