so i’m totally in love.
and i have been for a while.
like nearly my entire life a while.
it’s been this love affair that i haven’t been particularly open about… see it’s not exactly good for me.
i love cookie dough.
there. i said it.
it’s been well documented on here that i love cookies in general. i mean… i’m doing martha’s cookie madness for the rest of the year. but when it comes to cookie dough. that’s a-whole-nother infatuation. like i may or may not have been known to buy the break and place cookie dough and not baked anything from the pack. and i may or may not have eaten cookie dough for dinner a couple of times in sheer laziness. there’s a rare chance that those two statements are fact.
another infatuation i have… those soft iced sugar cookies that you can get at the grocery store. you know the ones. they have that icing that changes colors depending on the season / holiday. the super soft ones. yeah. you know what i’m talking about. well this happens to combine both these love affairs.
i know right!
see i was browsing pinterest the other day and came across this recipe. i knew i needed these in my life asap. i mean soft sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream?! duh.
cookie dough frosted soft sugar cookies
- 1/2 c vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 c + 1/3 c heavy cream, room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla, divided
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 c + 1/3 c flour
- 3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) softened, unsalted butter
- 1/3 c light brown sugar, packed
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips
- beat together shortening and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. add eggs, one at a time making sure each addition is throughly incoporated. add the 1/4 cheavy cream and half the vanilla, beat until smooth. add 1/2 tsp salt, baking soda and baking powder until combined. follow with the 4 c flour, 1 c at a time. if the dough looks a little sticky, add 1 tbs of flour at a time until the dough is no longer sticky. cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min, or overnight.
- preheat oven to 350F. line your baking sheets with parchment / silpat.
- roll your dough out to 3/8 in thick. using a 3 in cookie cutter, cut out the dough and place the circles on the lined cookie sheets. bake 8-10 min, or until tops are puffed and no longer shiny. be careful not to over bake. transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- while cookies are cooling completely, put together your buttercream. beat together the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. add in the remaining flour, salt and vanilla. beat in 4 c of powdered sugar, 1 c at a time, mixing each addition well. add heavy cream and beat until fluffy. you want the frosting to be thick but spreadable so if you need some additional powdered sugar, add it 1/4 c at a time.
- frost your cookies using about 1 heaping tbs of buttercream per cookie. sprinkle with mini chips, pressing so they stick.
so that’s the best combination ever! soft sugar cookies + cookie dough buttercream = greatness. these really were the perfect combination and balance. the cookies weren’t overly sweet so they balanced perfectly with the sweet frosting.
oh and remember how i said i was told that one of martha’s cookies tied for a coworker’s favorite? well these were the other cookies that were in that tie. so that naturally means you should try them. like today.