happy day after july 4th!!
i hope everyone had a fun time even though someone in the universe decided that the holiday should fall in the middle of the freaking week. i mean really… can we just outlaw that from happening? a wednesday? boo. it’s not like you can really do anything super exciting because hey you have to work the next day. for real.
although you can make cookies.
which i totally didn’t do but i did make nachos (coming soon!).
but i did make these cookies at the beginning of the week for more of martha’s cookie madness. and can i just tell you that these were a hit… like seriously. not quite as much as the banana walnut cookies or the rice krispie chocolate chip cookes but a hit nonetheless. i have been told that they tie for first place among the cookies that i’ve brought to the office.
and it’s not a lie that these are good. they had the potential to be a little weird. i mean cornmeal in a cookie that’s rolled with cornmeal on the edges? that’s not exactly something you can go buy at the store. but you should be able to. just saying.
citrus cornmeal shortbread cookie
- 1 c (2 sticks) softened, unsalted butter
- 3/4 c powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp orange zest – i just zested one large orange
- 2 c flour
- 2 tbs + 1/4 c yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- beat together the butter and powdered sugar until smooth and creamy. add vanilla and orange zest; mix until combined. add flour, 2 tbs cornmeal and salt; mix until just combined. halve dough and shape into logs about 1 1/2 in in diameter. wrap each log in plastic and refrigerate until cold; at least an hour.
- preheat oven to 300F and line your pans with parchment / silpat.
- place remaining 1/4 c of cornmeal on a sheet of parchment or wax paper. roll one log in the cornmeal to coat. cut into 1/4 in thick rounds and place 1 in apart on the lined cookie sheet. bake until pale golden, 25-30 min. cool completely on a wire rack.
here’s my take… the shortbread was awesome. it reminded everyone of the butter cookies you can get in a tin except only elevated because of the orange zest. the only thing i’ll do different next time is to roll the cookies in coarse sugar or maybe even some orange sugar instead of the cornmeal. the cornmeal crust wasn’t necessary to me and in fact i found it to be just a little too much. i think the sugar crust would be better. but hey. they were good either way.
recipe from: martha stewart’s cookie cookbook