so my original plan was to post my next martha’s cookie madness post before i talked about this cake but then this morning happened…
what happened this morning you ask? well i almost got in a minor wreck. normally that would be no big deal but you just don’t understand my driving luck lately.
see it all started in october…. i was driving to work one morning and there was a train. it was actually two trains which means one train has to STOP and let the other one by. so i decided i was going to turn at the light onto the intersecting street so i could turn into a parking lot to go the way i needed to go. no big right? well some guy decided that he was going to pull a u-turn in the middle of said street while he was waiting at a RED light and decided it wouldn’t be prudent to look to make sure no cars were coming where this u-turn was going to take place. well he didn’t complete the u-turn and there was a minor collision that ended with my car being “undrivable” and with me still fighting with jayson buson with usaa insurance 9 months later.
if that wasn’t bad enough it seems as though i have a giant target on my car. a couple months ago, some guy in a big red truck nearly ran me off the road and almost killed me because he didn’t feel the need to check his blind spot while switching lanes. oh and then there was the lady in the big white escalade truck that decided she didn’t care that she was in the wrong lane and that she was going to play bumper cars to switch 3 lanes and hit my back bumper. and then this guy this morning… i totally understand the guy this morning was trying to turn left out of a gas station in busy morning traffic but he decided that because he had one lane clear he was just going to go for it and not make sure that on coming traffic knew that the other lane was stopped for something other than busy morning traffic. thank goodness for horns!
like i said… big freaking target!
what would make me feel better? a gigantic slice of this cake. like i could eat the entire cake. in one sitting. and lick the plate clean.
and yes this cake uses cake mix. i thought about trying to adapt it and go 100% homemade but decided that would be for another time. sometimes you just need to make your cake fast.
praline bundt cake
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 1 1/4 c water
- 1/3 c vegetable / canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- 1/2 c + 1/4 c heath toffee bits
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar – light or dark, doesn’t really make a HUGE difference; in fact i use almost all dark and some light
- 2 tbs corn syrup
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 c powdered sugar
- preheat your oven to 350F. grease and flour your bundt pan.
- in a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, eggs and oil with a mixer on low speed until thoroughly mixed. fold in pecans and 1/2 c toffee bits.
- bake 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. let cool 30 min in the bundt pan before removing from pan to cool completely.
- make your glaze: in a quart size sauce pan, melt together butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk. heat to a rolling boil, stirring frequently; remove from heat. immediately beat in powdered sugar and vanilla with a whisk until smooth. drizzle all over cake and sprinkle with toffee bits.
i had the relevation today that next i make this cake, i’m going to make mini bundt cakes. that way everyone can have their little baby bundt cakes
and i may or may not have had this for breakfast. i mean can you say no to this?
recipe adapted from: the advocate newspaper’s recipe section