ready for another batch of martha’s cookie madness?
i figured you’ve been waiting so anxiously.
so here’s the deal with this batch….
i have no idea what they taste like. not even the dough. normally i cannot resist cookies much less cookie dough but this has been a simple resistence. remember how i don’t like fruit? well not only does this have fruit in but that fruit is in the form of bananas, which i have a special hatred for. i cannot explain why but i can’t STAND bananas. like seriously cannot stand them. mashing them up for this made me nauseated. and it’s not just that i don’t like banana flavoring but if it has the slightest banana taste, i’m out. smoothies? don’t drink them. the only way you’ll see me at smoothie king is when i pass by the one in the gym. blah! i didn’t even create a “banana” category because this is probably the only time i’ll ever use them.
great way to begin the post right?
well here’s the second deal…. i was originally going to exclude these from martha’s cookie madness since i refuse to eat them and couldn’t give my opinion but then that almost defeats the purpose for me. see i set out to cook cookies from martha’s cookbook and i can’t not make something just because i don’t like it. in my schedule for the rest of the year, i’ve included some cookies that have flavors that i don’t enjoy so for those posts, you’ll have to rely on my coworkers’ opinions. and i’m happy to report that these were a hit at the office. i’ve been told that they are delicious and yummy and all that good stuff. if you’re not convinced, let me tell you… these cookies went faster than any batch of cookies i think i’ve ever brought to the office.
and here’s an added bonus… they’re kinda healthy. i mean i think they’re as healthy as cookies can really be. they have bananas, walnuts, whole wheat flour and oats so they have to be healthy.
martha’s banana walnut chocolate chip cookies
- 1 c flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) softened, unsalted butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 1 c old-fashioned oats
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4 in chunks – or you could do like i did a buy a bag of the semisweet chocolate chunks and use 1 c from the bag
- 1/2 c coarsely chopped, toasted walnuts
- preheat oven to 375F. line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
- mix together flours and baking soda.
- beat together butter, sugars and salt until pale and fluffy. add egg and vanilla, mix until just combined. add mashed banana, mix until just combine. add flour mixture and mix until just combined. stir in oats, chocolate and walnuts.
- using your cookie scoop, drop dough onto the baking sheets with about 2 in in between. bake cookies 12-13 min, or until just golden brown (mine baked about 10 min). let cool on the cookie sheets 5 min and then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
so that’s the latest batch of cookies from martha’s cookie madness. we have 3 more chocolate chip cookies left to go before we move on to other kinds of cookies.
which cookies are you most excited to see?
recipe from: martha stewart’s cookie cookbook