this week has already been a really weird week and it’s only tuesday. it feels like maybe i’m just dreaming and that all this is happening to someone else. and it’s nothing in particular that is happening. just all kinds of weirdness.
do you ever have one of those weeks?
well if you do… you should participate in martha’s cookie madness with me. it’ll give you something to look forward to… warm cookies right out the oven with a cold cold cold glass of milk. (yes. i did use the word “cold” three times. i like to drink really cold milk ok?)
so this is only week two of martha’s cookie madness which means we’re still in chocolate chip cookie land. which makes me happy. you should be happy too. (unless you’re one of my co-workers who is ready for me to move on to his cookie choice). too bad. he still has at least 5 more weeks… that’s right folks. for the next five weeks, we’ll still be visiting chocolate chip cookie land. (i’m hoping to have a couple detours to savoryville so there’s some additional scenery…)
this week we venture to the cakey chocolate chip cookie. it has less butter and brown sugar than the soft and chewy from last week. it reminds me of cake mix chocolate chip cookies – shocker huh? but these are like the yummier, homemade version of those – again, shocker right?
they are yummy buuuuuut i’m going to keep my perference between all the versions until the very end… sorry to keep you hanging in suspense.
martha’s cakey chocolate chip cookies
- 141 tbs (1 3/4 stick) softened, unsalted butter
- 1/4 c packed, light brown sugar
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 c chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate or a mixture of both)
- preheat oven to 350F. line your baking sheets with parchment or a silpat.
- mix together the flour and baking soda in a bowl. set aside.
- beat together sugar, salt and butter until light and fluffy. beat in eggs and and vanilla until well combined.
- slowly add the flour and baking soda mixture to the butter mixture. mix until just combined. stir in your chocolate chips.
- using your handy cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto your baking sheet leaving 2 inches between each cookie. bake 10-12 min, turning your pan halfway through. (most recipes in martha’s book call for this step and i usually blow right past it but not with these. these truly benefited, at least in terms of being evenly golden brown, from turning the pan.)
- let cool on a cooling rack.
that’s it for this batch of martha’s cookie madness.
oh… and if you decided you want to bake each batch and share your thoughts, i’d advise going to sam’s (or costco if that’s what’s in your area – not in mine) and buying the ginormous bag of chocolate chips they have there. seriously. it’s a 4.5 lb bag. or if i break it down a little more… it’s 6 12 oz bags. that’s 6 batches of cookies. fyi.
another oh… what’s your favorite type of cookie?? maybe i’ll bake you a box.
recipe from: martha stewart’s cookie cookbook