thank goodness for martha stewart!
like she was seriously my savior last night.
why is that you ask?
well i think we’ve covered that fact that when something is going on i turn to food. and i’m pretty sure it’s well established that i like cookies. (see here, here, here, here and here.) so if you start to tie the two together, you can see where i’m going with this…
there has been some stuff going on around me lately that has put me in desparate need of the solace of my kitchen and my pink kitchenaid mixer. as i’ve said before, i turn to food. not in the i’masuperemotionaleatersoidrownmysorrowsinicecream kind of way. but in the something’sgoingonsoineedtogetinthekitchenandmakesomething,anything kind of way. cooking in general is a type of therapy for me. i am perfectly content to spend all day in the kitchen. and while running helps me clear my mind to some extent, it is nothing compared to being in the kitchen.
so where exactly does martha stewart play into this?
well like i said there’s stuff going on around me and after i went to run last night, i had to run to fresh market to get some groceries… (it was $2.99 tuesday so i had to get some stuff to stock the freezer with, duh!) as i was walking around fresh market, thinking about things, i realized that all i really wanted in that moment was a chocolate chip cookie. well don’t you know that there cookie aisle doesn’t have freaking soft chocolate chip cookies!? some would say a chocolate chip cookie is a chocolate chip cookie. well they would be flat out WRONG. i’m not a huge fan of crispy cookies. sure they would have served a cookie purpose but not my purpose. so what is the only logical thing to do in this situation??
MAKE FREAKING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!!
so i pulled out my martha stewart cookies cookbook and did just that.
if you haven’t purchased this cookbook and are a huge fan of cookies, i highly recommend it. it’s divided into 7 sections of cookie types so there is something for everyone. like seriously. in my need for chocolate chip cookies, i went to the first non crispy cookie that i came to and it was the soft and chewy chocolate chip so that’s what i made.
that decision also inspired me.
i’ve made two decisions…
1. once a week through the end of the year i’m going to make a different cookie from martha’s cookies. i’m dubbing this “martha’s cookie madness”.
2. to start “martha’s cookie madness”, i’m going to make each version of her chocolate chip cookies and then make a very special chocolate chip cookie recipe that i have before moving on to different cookies.
so to start here’s the soft and chewy run down.
martha’s soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies
- 1 c (2 sticks) softened, unsalted butter
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, room temperture
- 2 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 350F. line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- whisk together the flour and baking soda in a bowl. set aside.
- cream together the butter, sugars and salt until light a fluffy, about 3 min. add in the vanilla and eggs. beat until well combined, scraping down the bowl every now and then.
- add the flour and baking soda until just combined. stir in the chocolate chips.
- using your handy, dandy cookie scoop (or a spoon), scoop out cookies onto the baking sheets, leave about 2 in between each scoop. bake for 10-12 min until lighly golden. (mine were actually perfect after 9 1/2 min.) let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 min before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.
so this begins “martha’s cookie madness”.
are you excited?
i am PUMPED!
one more thing i should note about this little challenge… i will probably be making some cookies i won’t eat, like linzer cookies, so i won’t be able to give my opinion on the cookie. BUT i will be able to give you other people’s opinions. see i bring my cookies to the office and i’ll share what they tell me about them. deal? ok good.