did i ever tell you how much i love baklava?
well i do.
like a lot. i mean it’s up there with wedding cake and tiramisu as one of my favorite desserts. (if we’re being honest, almost any dessert is my favorite dessert. i’m not too particular.)
but i mean this is baklava. i mean c’mon. it’s honey and cinnamon and nuts, which i’m not usually a huge fan of baked goods with nuts in them but this is beyond that. baklava has nuts in it and i don’t mind that one bit. i mean what is wrong with layers of flaky phyllo, nuts and honey? um not too much in my world.
well unless you’re allergic to nuts and then that just sucks that you can’t enjoy baklava.
so i’ve never actually made true baklava. i have printed, saved and pinned many recipes for it but i haven’t actually made it. what i have made is baklava cookies. um combining two of my favorite things ever??! GENIUS. not my genius but i did bake them.
see here’s the story…
i was flipping through my copy of chef spike mendelsohn’s good stuff cookbook thinking on this particular weekend i would make a burger. and then i decided i just wasn’t in the mood for a burger so i flipped through the cookbook because it’s one that i could read like a novel. just as i thought i would put the book up, page 226 magically fell open and it was like the cookie gods were telling me something. and that something was make these freaking baklava cookies. so i did. and they were gooooood. like not just a little good. like real good. like i couldn’t stay away from them good. like i got a “they’re f’in awesome” email. like even my boss, who i never see eat any of the baked goods i bring (which isn’t to say he doesn’t eat them, i just happen to not ever witness it), took them home.
- 2 3/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 c walnuts
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c (2 1/2 sticks) + 2 tbs softened, unsalted butter
- 2 c sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp (divided) vanilla
- 1/3 c honey
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice – ok in all honesty, i didn’t use this but only because i forgot to buy a stupid lemon and the cookies were still good.
- preheat oven to 350F
- mix together walnuts, flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl. beat together butter, sugar and salt until smooth and fluffy. beat in the egg and 1 tsp vanilla. with your mixer on low, blend in the flour-walnut mixture until just incorporated.
- using your cookie scoop, scoop out dough balls onto an ungreased, parchment lined baking sheet. gently press down with your fingers to slightly flatten each cookie.
- heat the honey, remaining butter, remaining vanilla, lemon juice and remaining cinnamon in a sauce pan until syrupy. set aside to cool slightly. (do this step RIGHT before putting your first tray of cookies in the oven)
- bake the cookies for 10 min or until just golden. remove from oven and drizzle honey syrup over them. (spike says to leave them on the cookie sheets but i’m a rebel and took them off after i put the next cookie sheet in the oven and drizzled the syrup on the while they were cooling on the racks.)
spike says that this makes 24 cookies but mine made A LOT more than that. probably at least double. but that’s a-ok with me. i mean these were freaking fantastic cookies. which now i’m totally missing and want one… so can you bake some and bring me a couple? k thanks.
recipe from: the good stuff cookbook