so i flaked out the last couple weeks and haven’t posted. i warned you this might happen. that’s not to say i haven’t been cooking and baking because oh i have. i just tried to get way too much stuff while i was off that i didn’t post. oh and then it’s been a busy week this week so….
really that’s just excuses.
but it is partly the truth.
and now i’m back from outer space… (sorry, i couldn’t resist myself.)
as my peace offering to you i bring you salted caramel shortbread crumble bars. that’s a mouthful of a recipe name isn’t it? well the blog that i pintrested the recipe from just calls them salted caramel butter bars. but really i find that slightly misleading. yes they are salted caramel bars. and yes they have a fair amount of butter in them. but that salted caramel sits upon what could really be argued is a shortbread crust which is where the butter lies. and then you crumble more shortbread on top so it’s like a salted caramel sandwich of sorts. in bar form of course.
and these salted caramel shortbread crumble bars are absolutely worth it. remember those peppermint sugar cookies i made a while back that were like crack? well these are like their salted caramel shortbread crumble bar equivilant. they really were like crack. i would wake up and have one for breakfast. and then a little piece at lunch. oh and why not round the day off with another. i’m glad they are gone. because i could eat an entire tray of them. it’s awful.
salted caramel shortbread crumble bars
- 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted, softened butter – i told you it had a fair amount of butter in it
- 1 c sugar
- 1 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbs vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 14 oz caramel candies (about 50 unwrapped)
- 1/3 c cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs coarse sea salt – if you really want to leave this out for health reasons, ok. but i’m telling you it’s worth it.
- preheat oven to 325F. spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- beat the butter and sugars together in a mixer until fluffy. add the vanilla and beat until combined. add the flour to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until a smooth soft dough forms.
- press half of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust. place the other half into the fridge to chill.
- bake until firm and the edges are a pale golden brown, about 20 minutes. transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool about 15 minutes.
- place the unwrapped caramels, cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla in a microwave-safe bowl. microwave on high for 1 minute and stir. then microwave for 30 sec intervals until the filling is smooth and all the caramels are completely melted.
- pour the caramel filling over the crust and sprinkle with the sea salt.
- remove the remaining chilled dough from the refrigerator and crumble it evenly over the caramel.
- bake for 25-30 or until the filling is bubbly and the shortbread topping is lightly browned.
- let cool before cutting into squares.
you must go make these bars now. they would be perfect to bring to that national championship party that i know you’re attending monday… just saying
recipe from: cookies and cups