so i can’t believe it’s been like a year since i posted a mint and chocolate combination. i mean if i’m being honest it’s probably my favorite chocolate based combination. i mean it’s also one of my favorite food combinations period.
and it’s also perfect this time of year.
i mean i’m not entirely sure that the irish love mint flavored food as much as we like to pretend they do around st. patrick’s day. but i’ll just keep believing that in my head and dub this week…. MINT CHOCOLATE WEEK!!
and today we’re going to keep it simple. we’re going to make some of sally‘s mint chip buttercream to jazz up some chocolate cupcakes.
seeing as how the mint and chocolate combination is one of my favorites, it should be no surprise that mint chip ice cream is in my top 5. no joke. that green tinted ice cream with flecks of chocolate throughout. it’s as perfect as a perfect vanilla. the flecks of chocolate give the plain ice cream base a little texture and pure heavenliness. so when sally recently posted this recipe, i knew it needed to be front and center this week.
and this was such a genius buttercream that i’m kicking myself for not thinking of it. that’s usually what happens with all the best ideas.
while sally made her cupcakes from scratch, i took the short cut of using a box mix. sometimes the short cuts are called for. also, you are jazzing them up by making the buttercream from scratch. sometimes, that’s more than enough. and i feel like this buttercream does the perfect job of jazzing up some dark chocolate cupcakes. it really does feel like you’ve put some mint chip ice cream on top, even though it’s not cold. and for someone who was never a fan of cake AND ice cream (like together), this is the perfect substitute!
chocolate cupcakes with mint chip buttercream
- 18 chocolate cupcakes (homemade or made with cake mix)
- 1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
- 3-4 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2+ drops green food coloring – start with 2 drops and add until you reach your desired color
- pinch salt
- 2/3 c mini chocolate chips
- beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. add 3 c powdered sugar, heavy cream, peppermint extract, food coloring and pinch of salt. beat on high until until the buttercream is light and fluffy. you may need to add more powdered sugar (if it’s too thin) or more cream (if it’s too thick). stir in the chocolate chips.
- spread a generous amount of buttercream on each of the chocolate cupcakes.
- enjoy any leftover buttercream off a spoon!
do you think the irish love mint and chocolate? because i’m celebrating it again on thursday!
buttercream recipe from: sally’s baking addiction