ok… so i know that most of the rest of the country is beyond ready for spring to be here and the weather to warm up but i’m not! shocking i know.
but really. sorry my fellow countrymen but it never got cold here. sure we had a few cold days here and there but we never had a true snap. most of the “winter” has been with highs in the 60s. if you don’t count the rain, it’s been very nice and pleasant weather.
and let’s be honest, spring just means more rain so no thank you.
for many spring means that it’s beginning to be strawberry season.
now let’s be honest. we know that’s not it for me… since i’m not a fruit person spring just means it’s going to be hotter soon and it’s hot and rainy. but i would totally make and eat this cake. i may pick my pieces of strawberries out but i actually don’t mind that they lend a slight flavor to the whip cream.
strawberry shortcake roll
- 1-1/2 + 3 tbs liquid egg whites (or 9 egg whites)
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 c + 2 tbs sugar
- 3/4 c cake flour, sifted
- strawberry whip cream (see below)
- powdered sugar for dusting
- place the liquid egg whites in a large mixing bowl and let stand at room temp for at least 30 min.
- preheat oven to 350F. line a 15×10 jelly roll pan with parchment paper; spray parchment lightly with cooking spray.
- add the vanilla and cream of tartar to the liquid egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (when you remove the whisk / beaters, the egg whites should hold their shape and the tip of the peak will droop). on high, gradually beat in the sugar, 2 tbs at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. fold in flour 1/4 c at a time.
- carefully spread the batter on the prepared sheet. bake 15-20 min until the cake springs back when lightly touched. cool in the pan for 5 min.
- lay a clean kitchen towel out on the counter and dust lightly with some powdered sugar. turn the cake out on the kitchen towel and gently peel off parchment. roll the cake up in the towel starting with the short side. cool completely on a rack.
- once completely cool, unroll the cake. spread the strawberry whip cream, leaving 1/2 in border. roll up again and place seam side down on your serving platter. dust with additional powdered sugar if desired and serve with any leftover strawberry whip cream. store in the fridge covered with plastic wrap.
strawberry whip cream
- 2 c heavy whipping cream, cold
- 6 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 c diced strawberries
- place your mixing bowl and whisk in the fridge for 15-20 min to chill. remove the mixing bowl from the fridge and beat the cream on medium speed until it starts to thicken. add powdered sugar and vanilla; increase the speed to medium high and beat until soft peaks form. gently fold in the diced strawberries.
simple springy dessert!
perfect for your upcoming easter table!!
recipe from: brown eyed baker