so do you every have those days where you feel like you bit off WAY more than you could chew??
um for me that day was last tuesday. like nearly had a nervous breakdown tuesday night.
see what happened was we were going on a fishing trip and i decided to make all kinds of things. which wouldn’t have been a problem but i just didn’t have as much time as i thought. everything i was making took me just a little bit longer than i imagined and it was like trying to cook an entire holiday dinner in the timespan of no more than 6 hours. (which seems like a lot of time but next time you cook for thanksgiving, let me know if you can get all your cooking and prep work done the day of….) and i still didn’t get everything done before we left. needless to say, it all made me a bit touchy on wednesday.
but long story short, i made all the baked goods. which included some orange cookies, some rice krispie treats, some mini bundt cupcakes and these cookies.
see i originally found these cookies on pinterest (duh where else?) and knew i needed them in my life stat. see i’m a lover of batter and dough as evidenced here. i think i would eat everything raw if it was completely acceptable. so i saw these and it peaked my curiosity… even more so that these little gems didn’t have a single bit of cake mix in them to give them a battery flavor. say what? this had to be tried.
cake batter sugar cookies
- 1/4 c (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 egg yolk, room temp
- 1/2 tsp butter extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 c + 1/4 c colorful sprinkles
- preheat oven to 350F. line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat; set aside.
- cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. beat in egg yolk, butter extract, baking powder and salt. slowly add in the flour and mix until just incorporated. gently mix in the 1/3 c sprinkles.
- roll dough into balls and roll into the remaining 1/4 c sprinkles. bake for 9-10 min until the are just starting to barely change color. you don’t want them to brown.
- allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 min before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
here’s my suggestion if you’re going to attempt these and aren’t quite the sprinkle addict that sally is… cut back some on the sprinkles. i doubled the recipe when i made these and could have done without doubling the sprinkles. they were just a tad too much for me. and if you wanted to bring these to your tailgate this weekend you could get really awesome and find sprinkles in your teams colors and use those. you can believe that there will be some purple and gold cake batter sugar cookies in my near future. just saying.
recipe from: sally’s baking addiction